UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Law and Society Association (LSA) Executive Officer, the Associate Director for Communications and Engagement will develop and execute a comprehensive strategic communication plan that supports all aspects of the Association's mission. The Director will manage engagement of the Association's internal and external stakeholders, which include working committees, LSA Officers, the LSA Board of Trustees and Association donors.
* In partnership with the Executive Officer, the Association Executive Committee and other designated LSA committees, develop and execute a comprehensive strategic communication plan that utilizes traditional and electronic publishing technologies, and social media outlets. Responsible for the management of the LSA website and all Annual Meeting communications. * Partner with the Executive Officer to organize the Board of Trustee and Executive Committee meetings. Create and distribute agenda and document books. Coordinate with all committees and provide background reports and minutes when requested for meetings. Write and distribute Trustee updates and other communications. * Research and develop content for publication. Monitor the media for appropriate material for LSA communications, and create new content to inform stakeholders of LSA projects with accuracy and timeliness. * Routinely evaluate the effectiveness of communication strategies and adjust communication plans as necessary to support the Association's goals. * Support the Association's Annual Meeting by communicating with external vendors including book exhibitors, advertisers, and program printer. Coordinate program book front matter. Write and edit program-related publications, and promotional or educational materials. With the Executive Officer, Director of Operations, and hotel conference staff, support annual meeting planning and logistics. Work with other staff to design and coordinate special event and hotel signage. * Manage the administration of the Board of Trustee and Executive Committees including maintaining records of Trustee voting and arranging for reimbursements and stipends. Respond to, or refer inquires to the Association as appropriate.
* Serve in a back-up role for other LSA staff as needed. * Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned showing adaptability and flexibility to accomplish goals.
* Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, Business, Nonprofit Management, or related field. * 3 years of communications, marketing, or nonprofit program management experience. * Excellent organizational, problem solving, negotiation and project management skills with strong attention to detail and quality. * Flexibility to work with initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks. Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with competent judgment and discretion. * Excellent ability to work both independently and as part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style. Ability to prioritize and complete multiple, complex tasks with different timetables and deadlines. Capable of working successfully with diverse populations. Ability to engage senior-level executives, high profile donors and volunteers. * Excellent writing and editing skills. Ability to develop and execute new communications and marketing strategies. * Excellent technological skills with a good sense of design. Knowledge of and experience in up-to-date media technology, including various social media platforms, with a willingness to learn and adopt new technologies as they emerge. Expert computer usage skills including spreadsheet, word processing, database and presentation software with the ability to quickly learn new software programs needed for position duties. * Ability to make routine updates on website content and ability to work with and guide outside vendors on major revisions. * Excellent ability to maintain database records, analyze data, and prepare reports and presentations from those records.
* Master's degree in Social Sciences, Business, Nonprofit Management, or related field and 1 year of communications, marketing, or nonprofit program management experience. * Knowledge of basic HTML.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
* Required to work some nights and weekends. * Some travel required to organize and attend the LSA annual and Executive Committee meetings.
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Include letter of application, resume, and contact information of at least three current professional references. Review of applicants will begin on May 1, 2019, and may continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 3 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: administrative officer, assistant, asso, associate, beverage, front office, food, operational assistant, operations director, support
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.