- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- $57,540.00 -82,490.00/year*
Hospitality - Food Services
299 Stockbridge Rd
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service operation including: cooking, cleaning and serving food. The basic purpose of this work is to perform cooking tasks and assist with cleaning and food serving work as needed.
* Cooks food in large quantities by following recipes and standard operating procedures. May be required to perform display cooking as assigned.
* Reads computer generated recipes and menus for the preparation of simple meals.
* Cleans cooking equipment, work areas, food areas, counters, floors, food carts, trays, furniture, utensils, dishes, pots and pans by scraping, hand washing and machine washing.
* Peels, chops, washes and cooks foods for simple dishes.
* Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts, transports food to serving areas and serves food to diners.
* Assists other food services staff with the preparation of more complex dishes.
* Roasts, fries, boils, broils and seasons meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods required for daily meals.
* Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes.
* Uses kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare soups, salads, desserts, dressings, gravies, sauces, and stews.
* Operates cutlery, grinders and slicers to prepare and portion food for cooking.
* Evaluates food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature and taste by tasting and observing to determine proper freshness, preparation and portioning.
* Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at proper temperature to prevent spoilage.
* Communicate with Cook I, Cook II and Cook III employees to report food and menu problems.
* Makes coffee.
* Separates and removes trash and garbage, and places them in designated containers.
* Performs related work as required
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Ability to cook a variety of simple meals and to assist in the preparation of more complex dishes.
* Ability to perform display cooking.
* Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the handling and serving of food.
* Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
* Ability to use kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
* Ability and stamina to perform manual tasks including: standing for long periods of time, lifting and carrying heavy objects, and working under conditions of seasonal high and low temperatures.
* Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
* Ability to provide training, work assignments and functional supervision to student employees.
* Ability to give oral and/or written instructions in precise and understandable manner.
* Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied backgrounds.
* Willingness to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
* Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures and sharp surfaces.
* Ability to read and understand recipes.
* Willingness to communicate with customers while performing display cooking.
* Incumbents of positions at this level must have one year cooking experience in the hospitality trade.
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e. ServSafe).
1st shift; may require weekends and holidays (40 hours per week)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 11 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 17 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: catering, commercial, culinary, culinary school, deli chef, dining chef, kitchen, restaurant chef, sous, team lead
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...