UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supports the Assistant Budget Director in preparing the campus' Operating Budget throughout the annual budget cycle including budget preparation, analysis, quarterly updates to budget forecasts and fiscal year closing. Works with the Assistant Budget Director to provide support for five-year financial forecasts, quarterly budget updates, Executive Dashboard and other President's Office deliverables. Supports the Budget Office in administering the UM Plan budget planning tool for annual academic and administrative budget plans. Provides budget support for several campus departments like the Chancellor and Administration & Finance.
* Reconcile annual financial and personnel data, analysis and review of department input as well as generation of budget reports. Maintain and update the UM Plan budget system to enable annual operating budgets, quarterly updates and five year forecasts. * Assist the Assistant Budget Director in administering the UM Plan budget tool for annual academic and administrative unit budget plans. This will involve: * Assisting in the development of a departmental budget planning process * Training department users * Providing support and issue resolution for department users * Validation of department plans
* Generate budget scenarios involving revenues as well as labor, operating and other costs to advise senior management of financial implications of forecasted initiatives. * Fulfill President's Office requests for various data requirements including: financial, student and personnel dashboards, peer analyses, annual reports on waivers, research, cost of education, etc. * Provide department budget support for some administrative budget areas such as the Chancellor and Administration & Finance. * Monitor the campus's central budget, providing quarterly updates to inform quarterly forecasts. * Provide assistance in the preparation of senior management presentations on campus finances and budgets. * Develop and use ad-hoc PeopleSoft and SUMMIT reports as required to verify and interpret financial data as well as to answer department and senior management questions. * Model campus capital and debt scenarios for use in budget development * Assist in coordinating Efficiency and Effectiveness data compilation and reporting. * Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
* Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy. * Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration. * Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity. * Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
* Bachelor's degree in business, finance, accounting or related field. * More than 3 years experience * Excellent customer service skills. * Ability to communication effectively orally and in writing * Proficient in microcomputer applications (spreadsheets, word processing, graphics, etc.) * Ability to create reports and queries from an enterprise management system like PeopleSoft * Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles * Ability to work as part of a team * Exceptional organizational skills
Master's degree in business, finance, accounting or related field.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity
Monday-Friday 8:30AM - 5PM
PSU Salary Scale:
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by June 21, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 5 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.