UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs general janitorial duties in connection with the cleaning and maintenance of Resident Halls, Family Housing, Grad Apartments, and Rental Properties. Performs related work as required
* Removes trash and waste from assigned area and places outside building at designated sites, washes trash and waste receptacles by scrubbing containers and rinsing with hose to ensure clean and sanitary conditions. * Cleans bathrooms and lavatories by cleaning and disinfecting toilets, sinks, showers, stall partitions and floor area to ensure clean, sanitary, and disinfected facilities. * Cleans building interior by dusting and/or washing, and/or polishing walls, ceilings, doors, horizontal surfaces, furniture, glass and mirrors, to provide a clean and attractive facility. * Maintains carpet areas by vacuuming and spot cleaning to prolong life of carpet and maintain cleanliness. * Maintains hard floor surfaces by sweeping, mopping, stripping, and waxing to prolong life of floor surface and maintain cleanliness. * Assists in keeping exterior areas immediately adjacent to building clean by sweeping, raking, and shoveling to maintain an attractive appearance. * Performs simple general maintenance by replacing belts, tightening screws, cleaning of the equipment, replacing light bulbs and fluorescent tubes in order to keep machinery and equipment in good working condition and ensure adequate building illumination. * Locks and unlocks exterior doors with keys or Allen Wrench to maintain security or provide ease in entry. * Moves and arranges furniture.
* Ability to physically perform manual tasks, climb stairs, lift, climb ladders, and bend. * Ability to move furniture. * Ability to understand, follow and communicate oral and written instructions
Qualifications Acquired on the Job (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Knowledge of materials, equipment and methods commonly employed in cleaning operations. * Ability to operate and care for equipment, including vacuum cleaners, floor machines, and pressure washers. * Ability to prepare and apply cleaning solutions safely and efficiently.
* This position is classified as essential personnel as defined by Residential Life. * There is occasional scheduled and emergency callback overtime required of the position.
Saturday - Wednesday (40 hours per week)
Job Grade 09
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 24 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: animal care, clean, custodial, custody, house cleaner, housekeeping, janitor, janitorial, sanitation, wash
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.