UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Arts Extension Service (AES) is a partially self-sustaining program in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts whose purpose is to provide arts management and arts entrepreneurship instruction to make the arts more accessible to a greater audience throughout the United States. The Program Coordinator is responsible for: marketing AES programs; teaching a variety of arts management and entrepreneurship courses and workshops; assisting with planning, developing, implementing, managing and evaluating education programs; and coordinating events and internship program in a highly collaborative environment.
TEACH AND DEVELOP COURSES
* Teach a variety of arts management and arts entrepreneurship courses online and on-campus. * Work with instructors to help them deliver quality education programs. * Engage in research and development to create new educational programs, educational materials and publications. * Teach workshops or present programs for artists and arts management professionals. This will include off-campus workshops on nights and weekends. * Support workflow and monitoring of office staff, instructional personnel, off-campus support staff and students.
PROGRAM COORDINATION AND DEVELOPMENT
* With the director and other staff, develop, coordinate and manage a viable and thriving program of offerings for the Arts Extension Service. * Work closely with director on creation and delivery of programs, contracts and grants that serve national, state and local artists and arts organizations as well as local business and industry partners. * Coordinate on-going needs assessment. Identify opportunities and needs of artists, arts agencies and groups that can be met by the University through the AES Arts Entrepreneurship Initiative and the National Arts Policy Archive and Library. Develop and offer education programs and events to meet these needs. * Administer programs within the University environment, following established rules, regulations, policies and procedures. * Manage budgets, administration and evaluation of programs and events. * Write materials or assist with editing of AES publications in the arts.
MARKET PROGRAMS AND COURSES
* Market and publicize programs independently or in collaboration with CHFA, OE, UWW or other campus departments. * Speak in public; cultivate off-campus contacts; recruit and advise student prospects. * Oversee social media and email marketing, analytics, and marketing budget to grow program. * Work with other staff to maintain website.
OVERSEE AND DEVELOP ARTS ENTREPRENEURSHIP INITIATIVE ACTIVITIES
* Prepare and run the Internship Fairs and related activities and collaborate with University offices, artists and arts organizations on planning, posting and preparation. Seek internship postings; build relationships with artists and arts organizations. * Create, host and deliver off-and on-campus information sessions.
* Identify funding sources, collaborative ventures, etc. * Seek and assist with grant writing, crediting funders and reporting outcomes.
* Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives. * Demonstrate the capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success. * Understand responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behave in ways consistent both with law and with University policy. * Contribute toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration. * Understand and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity. * Use access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercise care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
* Master's degree in Arts Management or relevant discipline plus at least three years of experience in arts management. * Experience in marketing and promoting self-sustaining programs. * Experience in an artistic discipline and/or an artist-based business. * Excellent oral and written communications skills, interpersonal and public relations skills. * Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends.
* Experience in arts management teaching in higher education, and/or online/face-to-face. * Ability to teach arts marketing and cultural equity. * Demonstrated excellence in a field of artistic practice. * Supervisory experience. * Experience with grant writing and research.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
* 37.5 hour work week. * Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30PM. * Required to work some nights and some weekends.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit resume/CV, cover letter, and the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references by May 6, 2019 to ensure priority consideration. Position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.