UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provides for the care and maintenance of lawns, trees, shrubs, flowerbeds, walks, roadways and parking lots.
This is a 1 Year TERM position.
* Trims, prunes, cuts and/or plants flowers, bushes, etc., as part of grounds keeping activities. * Seeds, waters, weeds, and/or fertilizes lawns, flowerbeds, shrubs, etc. * Sprays lawns, flowerbeds, shrubs, etc., with fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides. * Assist in designing floral beds and planning plant placement for grounds beautification * Cuts lawns using hand mower or power mower. * Performs related duties such as emptying rubbish barrels; sweeping walks; picking up litter; cleaning ditches, drains, and catch basins on grounds or roadway; shoveling snow; and raking leaves. * Operates power saws, winches, cement mixers, compressors and other similar equipment as required on a season basis. * Operates light trucks and equipment on a seasonal basis. * Assists in University snow removal operations by operating light trucks, snow blowers, power shovels, shovels, etc. * Assists in the back filling and grading of various materials on slopes and level grades, paying attention to details and working in a neat and orderly manner. * May be required to assist pest control section. * Provides functional supervision to employees of an equal or lesser grade. * Performs related duties as required. * Performs job responsibilities in an environmentally compliant and responsible manner reflective of Physical Plant policies, procedures and goals relative to environmental compliance and stewardship.
* Working knowledge of the types and uses of common hand tools. * Ability to perform manual labor of a semi-skilled nature. * Ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and simple mechanical equipment. * Ability to operate tools used in landscape maintenance including chain saws, string trimmers, etc. * Ability to operate light dump trucks and related equipment. * Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction. * Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods and under varying climatic conditions. * Ability to work effectively in the identification, planting, care, maintenance and trimming of plant materials, including, but not limited to annuals, perennials, vines, shrubs and trees, as well as transplanting plant materials and basic landscape operations. * Must be capable of operating landscaping equipment, performing repeated heavy lifting, climbing ladders and digging.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
* Must possess at least one year experience in landscape maintenance.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
* Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator's License required at time of hire. * Class \"D\" Driver's License required at time of hire
* Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau Commercial Certification State Code 41 is preferred at time of hire. * CDL Class \"B\" with Air Brake Endorsement preferred at time of hire. * Class \"2B\" Hoisting License preferred at time of hire. * Must be available for scheduled overtime and call-out during emergencies. * This position is a maintenance function, which includes the obligation to work overtime and to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed. It is also your responsibility to update the service desk with your current phone numbers.
Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.